Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Postscript.........

The following is the entry on my journal, dated, 13th April 2006, my last night in my room in the college hostel:

I think it was the day before when i resorted to a bit of theatrics to experience that ambiance for this "one last time". The whirring of the fan in the low hours of the day, when everything around you is silent except the rustling of the leaves, sounds of the birds and the occasional voices of people in the corridor. It is that suspended state of being which has got attached to you without your knowing it. I wish i could shout out and cry just to unburden myself. How i wish this moment was delayed.

I was thinking about U-24, about the first year and about the last month when the family tree came about. Strange room it was.....one in which I cried bitterly after a humiliating and disgraceful session with a bunch of seniors; one in which I lay down at night during the first few months and let my mind loose on the wonders unfolding before my eyes; one in which i waited eagerly for letters form a now vanished person. The other day when i went there, I recognized the familiar notch curved into the armrest of one of the chairs, which at one point of time used to be "mine". I was glad to still see my name written inside the cupboard. It was like chancing across a flotsam from a seemingly distant childhood.

It's been a journey from a state of ignorant, blissful innocence to a state of mature, cautious innocence - innocence nonetheless.

Last night in V-25, Mukherji West, St, Stephen's College. May i sleep a few last hours of a departing identity in peace.....AMEN!!!

P.S: I have soiled fingers this moment.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Evocatively expressed! In the absence of a decent time machine, this blog of yours should be a most sturdy vehicle for visiting the past :)