Tuesday, July 31, 2007

To Be Or Not To Be

My 3rd year results are out today, and as usual I have picked up the scraps left over after the feast of the big fishes. So, friends, here goes the confession of the widely acclaimed bottom feeder.

Deb Soc, Cine Club, Bong Lit Soc and numerous other identities go flying past as I find myself back to square one. I found myself in exactly the same position four years ago when I left high school. It has been an eternal struggle to find an identity and shake myself off the ephemeral mad muses of smoke, drink and dope.

I have been educated in Christian missionary schools and then in a Christian college. I have grown up sleeping through chapel sessions in school and in college, visited the chapel at times only to play raag Behag on the piano. So in a sense I am a veteran of many sermons. Through it I have had an opinion, that of the existence of a force. A force that merely keeps the things around us in order. Much like any manager of the BPO i work with now. So the bottom line is: God is a good manager. i have also been hounded by various questions, which expressed might offend a few people. But important questions are they to me. The Bible (which, thanks to my school, I know better than Dr. Menon's lectures) says that God puts us through trying circumstances to test our faith in Him. Now, why can't we question and test God's existence? Why are then people discouraged from questioning God. This is applicable to all the religions. History is replete with examples of "heretics" being burnt on stake or non believers being stoned to death.

The same phenomenon continues even today, and at times in front of the public eye. God, whatever he is defined as, has retained the propensity of being turned into a devil. We have had enough evidences of that. So what is of essence here is that, the question of God needs to be revisited. God needs to be redefined for the public good.


Let's hope for the best. God willing, things will take a turn for the better.

No comments: